Happy Womxn’s Hxstory Month!
We hope you all in the CCV community have stayed safe and well during these tumultuous winter months. The month of March is being kicked off with Womxn’s Hxstory month. The social construct of “woman” is incredibly nuanced, but celebrating, highlighting, elevating, and empowering everything that is “womxn” is imperative as we aim to destroy toxic masculinity, white supremacy culture, and everything else aimed at oppressing “womxn.” This newsletter has some resources and links that help make more sense of that work.
This month has some quickly approaching opportunities for teachers and educators to make some extra $$$, get support and coaching and free events in the community. Keep reading and discover some opportunities that fit you and your needs. As always, if you have a question, a need, or want to share something with the CCV Alumni community, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured.
See below for some resources to learn about Womxn’s History Month. They include learning about the yearly celebration and its history. Pay special attention to some phenomenal TED talks in the links below!
TFA-CCV is looking for committed alumni to support us in our vision on our Regional Alumni Board
Your perspective is needed! Do you have a commitment to change in the CCV, both within the city and TFA? Apply to be on our Alumni Leadership Board to support our vision, inform our direction, and share your perspective. Reach out to email@example.com for any questions. Click the link here to apply and see a complete description of a board member.
- Aspire Public Schools, Long time TFA partner, is hiring! View available and open positions here.
- Instruction Partners is recruiting middle schools to pilot Racially Affirming Relationships for Black students in content classrooms in ELA and Math. They are seeking middle school leaders who are committed to 1) centering the voices of students as a primary measure of instructional improvement and 2) identifying and implementing goals and support to equip teachers in cultivating racially affirming relationships with Black students in their content classrooms. Contact Monica Ng firstname.lastname@example.org. for more information.
- PowerHour5 Learning Series (PH5) is a, paid, FREE 5-week, cohort-based learning and collaboration series for school and systems leaders. Our next series will kick off early March 2023. Each PH5 series focuses on a different theme/topic relevant to the moment–integrating learning from experts and providing a collaborative space for participants. If you are interested in participating in the next series, fill out the very brief survey by Friday, March 3 to identify topics of interest. This program is open to Teach For America alum and non-alum.
- Unbound Stockton: The outstanding TFA Alumni, Phillip Hon, is offering paid and volunteer opportunities for his Spring Break Camp coming up this month in Stockton. This camp is also looking for kids to attend this FREE camp for 2nd to 5th grade kids!!! If you’re interested in working at the Spring Break camp, refer to links and flyer for more information. Please share this with any kids, families, or community members that have 2nd-5th graders that may be interested in attending. Spring Break Camp Flyer & Facilitators Flyer
Resources and Free Things
- LEE’s popular no-cost career coaching is now available as a virtual coach-facilitated course to provide more members with this expert support. If you’re ready to pursue your first role in policy, advocacy, or organizing this spring or summer, this is THE next step for you! Sign up for our Early Career Coaching course to get on track to land a new impactful role. This is based on a graduate-level public service career course and years of coaching experience. We will be your accountability partner and expert guide as you work through your plan. Deadline is March 5th! Sign up here.
- For our readers, take a look at TFA’s offerings from Ed Leaders and alumni:
- Anger & Fear: New Poll Shows School-Level Impact of Anti-LGBTQ Political Debate by 74 Million
- Read Promise Boys by Nick Brooks (DC ’12)
- Navigating political tensions over schooling: Findings from the fall 2022 American School District Panel survey by CRPE
- How Can Districts Retain Principals? A 5-Year Project Offers Clues by EdWeek
- Early Literacy Playbook: A Game Changer for School and System Leaders by Instruction Partners
- Transforming the Teacher Role by Transcend
- Authors on the Move: Sacramento’s Premier Literacy Event on 3/11/23 Kimpton Sawyer Hotel in Sacramento. Enjoy a champagne reception followed by a farm-to-fork meal! During this time, guests will share an intimate conversation with published authors that will rotate to different tables. Learn more here.
- Unbound Stockton is hosting a FREE Peace and Unity Spring Break Program for kids from 2nd-5th grade in Stockton on March 15, 16, and 17th, from 9:00am-3:00pm. Click here to sign up and please spread this opportunity to anyone that may be interested.
- Coming on Saturday April 8th, 2023: Ubefest!!! Unsure about the delicious Pilipino delicacy? Check out their Instagram page @ubefeststockton to learn more. It is entertainment for the whole family, highlighting Pilipino culture, food, music, art, and even one of TFA’s community members’ friend, educator, rapper, rhymer, hip-hop head, Rhymosaurus!!! Learn more about Rhymosaurus here.