Wrapping up 2022 and Welcoming the CCV Winter
Our alumni newsletter for December highlights a true gem of the city and valley that has been supporting kids and families for years. We have new job offerings in the CCV, free events for kids and families, and much more.
This December, the CCV has been diligent in taking time to get to know more alumni in the CCV than ever before as well as some of the community organizations that provide support to children and their families. We’ve been learning perspective from our alumni, resources and community assets, as well as offerings that are available to CCV Alumni both nationally and regionally.
TFA CCV had their alumni hike this past Sunday
A small and mighty crew braved the weather to connect and ground themselves in the land, community, and their commitments to our kids and communities.
How can we help support you?
We are continuing to learn about our alumni and our region. If you’d like to connect, share resources, have a job offering, need to get something out to the network, or collaborate on anything, please reach out to our Director of Alumni Engagement, a ‘15 CCV alum email@example.com.
Alumni happy hour coming soon
We will be having our second Alumni gathering. A happy hour + Alumni trivia”. Details coming soon!
Community Highlight: The Sacramento Children’s Home
The Sacramento Children’s Home, A local Sacramento Organization that has been serving children and families for years. From emergency services, to free diapers, counseling, and home visits, the Sacramento Children’s Home has been a gem of the community for years.
Please spread the word, share in your newsletters, tell parents during conferences, post it up on bulletin and resource boards, and share with families. If your families have a need, they may have the ability to fulfill that need.
Join The CCV
TFA CCV will be partnering with The Sacramento Children’s Home for their Winter Wonderland on December 17 from 2:00pm-4:00pm. Come join us and invite families to this free event. Click here for more information.
Opportunity for Civic Minded Student Leaders with Changeist
Changeist runs a Saturday youth empowerment program for Stockton Students in Middle and High School. This year they will bring together over 150 young people across Stockton and the region to learn and work on issues like housing, immigration, gender justice, and the like. Click here to learn more: https://www.changeist.org/
Fellowships & Learning Programs
Look through TFA’s offerings of Fellowships and learning programs that fit your interests and career path: https://alumni.teachforamerica.org/experiences/category/fellowships/.
Stockton Wildflower Schools coming soon!
Are you looking to start a school in your community but don’t know where to start? Do you ever wonder what a school could look like if you designed and led it? Stockton Wildflower Schools coming soon!
Learn more about how you can be part of a network of Teacher-Led schools through the Wildflower School Start-up Journey: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUscuGprj4oGtE5H1Ia5MwJyY2EZ7DG0xDI.
- Aspire Public Schools: Join a network that is paving the way for every scholar to reach their potential on the journey to college and beyond. Teach with Aspire and cultivate your practice within structures that set you up for success. You can reach out directly to Rachel Hock, Dean of Instruction and TFA Sacramento Alumna at Rachel.firstname.lastname@example.org for view open positions here.
- KIPP Northern California: Several openings include an elective teacher (the content area is flexible), a mod/severe Education Specialist (this role is available immediately but they are also looking for candidates who could start next year), a math teacher, a multiple subjects teacher, and a social studies teacher. For more full job descriptions, click here.
Resources and Free Things
- The Sacramento Children’s Home is a local child and family resource center with locations located throughout the greater Sacramento area. Every year they serve thousands of children and their families in a variety of ways to meet the needs of developing children. The Sacramento Children’s Home offers services that include: wrap around services, community activities, therapeutic treatment, intervention services, court approved parenting education, home visitation, engagement services, support groups, baby bonding classes, nutrition classes and services, arts and crafts, domestic violence services, dad groups, fitness classes, and so much more.
- People of Color Political Leadership Program | Dec 5-8, 2022: The People of Color Political Leadership Program brings together LEE members who are committed to pursuing elected office to build their skills and confidence through a live learning and networking opportunity. In December 2022, LEE will host this program VIRTUALLY for members.
- National Fundamentals of Organizing and Civic Engagement Workshop 2022 | Dec 10, 2022: The National Fundamentals of Organizing and Civic Engagement Workshop is a dynamic training program that includes online learning and a virtual workshop designed to help you build a foundation of organizing skills and connect to organizers across the country.
- February 3-4, 2023: We are incredibly excited to share that SLOC will be coming back in-person in 2023 in sunny LA! Follow The Collective on Facebook and Instagram and continue to read our upcoming newsletters for more information on how to submit session proposals, where to stay, and when you can register for the conference.
- December 12, 2022: Johns Hopkins University School of Education – MSEd Info Session Whether you have recently heard about our program, or you are beginning the application process, we want to extend an offer for you to attend our MSEd Info Session on Monday, December 12 from 7-8 pm EST. In this info session webinar, you will learn about the Teach For America and TNTP master’s degree partnership with the Johns Hopkins University School of Education. The MSEd program is entirely online and built to support the work and development of full-time teachers. The info session will provide an overview of our program experience and curriculum, including the online modality, assessments, curriculum, workload, finances, and more. Current students and alumni will also be available to answer your questions.
- December 17, 2022: Join TFA CCV at the Winter Wonderland event with The Sacramento Children’s Home Holiday event fair for families and kids. There will be booths ran by local organizations, games, prizes, music, and a lot more! Click here to register.
- December 18, 2022: Looking for a fun and free event that supports local creatives and kids?!! Join Rhymasuarus, local Stocktonian, on 12/18/22 (Sunday) for a Hip-Hop cypher, live t-shirt art, kids activities, vendors, and more.
- July 19-August 4, 2023: Inspiring teachers does not happen during stuffy PD in the cafeteria over summer vacation. The GLOBE Experience allows educators to live into their love of teaching while collaborating with others, getting real time coaching on equity and wellness in practice, and developing a plan to create a community-centered environment at their school the following year. This training comes with 17 days’ accommodation a stone’s throw from the beach in Jaco, Costa Rica July 19th – August 4th 2023. Educators can explore while taking explicit steps to curate a vision for a thriving school community. Don’t miss out as there are only twelve spots available! PLUS cyber specials through December 7th. Sign up here for a free consultation on next steps for this opportunity.
- Free local events for kids and families. Bookmark this website that gets updated throughout the year: https://4kids.com/sacramento/