Happy New year to our CCV Community.
Take a look through our offerings and opportunities this month. We’re looking for new Alumni Board Members to support TFA CCV in being change makers in our community. We have our January Happy Hour event coming up. As you enter the new year, we hope you will join us in continuing our work to support and actualize our dreams for our kids, families, and communities in the CCV. Whether you make new year resolutions, or keep a year-round pace towards your goals, we hope to work in collaboration this year.
Responding to the recent storms
The recent Northern California storms have hit the central valley and Bay area particularly hard with flooding and power outages, leaving our most vulnerable communities especially in dangerous conditions. Check the local news’ link to resources with SMUD, PG&E, storm trackers, and how to stay informed on the storm’s movement: https://www.kcra.com/article/northern-california-storm-resources-county-emergency-alerts/42398434
TFA-CCV Alumni Leadership Board Is Accepting Applicants
Your perspective is needed! Do you have a commitment to change in the CCV, both within the city and TFA? Apply to be on our Alumni Leadership Board to support our vision, inform our direction, and share your perspective. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions. Click the link here to apply and see a complete description of a board member.
LEE (Leadership for Educational Equity) Opportunities
- Civic Engagement 101: Los Angeles Neighborhood Council Candidate Training | Thu, Jan 12, 7:30 PM | RSVP ZOOM
- Statewide Impact Meeting Issues Assembly | January 23 | 4:30-6:30pm |RSVP ZOOM
- Intro to Policy and Advocacy Careers | February 2| 6:00 – 7:30pm | InPerson Downtown Los Angeles
- Civic Engagement 101: Los Angeles Neighborhood Council Candidate Training | February 9 | 7:30-8:30pm | RSVP ZOOM
- House Meeting Koreatown | February 15 | 6:00 – 8:00 | InPerson TBD
- New Member Meet n Greet | February 17 | 6:00 – 8:00 | InPerson TBD
- MonthLEE Impact meeting (housing and school segregation)| February 21 | 6:30-7:30pm | InPerson
- Statewide Impact Meeting February 27 | 4:30-6:30pm | Hybrid Los Angeles
- House Meetings East LA | Feb 29 | 6:00 – 8:00 | InPerson TBD
Job, Internship, and Fellowship Opportunities
- Ukrainian American House: A CCV alumni of ours is currently working in Ukraine teaching English. He has shared that the UA House (Ukrainian American House) in Sacramento is in search of any English teachers who could lead small English classes in Sacramento for Ukrainian refugees. There is a high demand for English classes (over 100 interested Ukrainian refugees), but there is a low supply of trained teachers to lead those classes. Learn more here.
- KaiPod Catalyst: Once a year, they recruit the highest-caliber educators and provide them the support, expertise, and resources they need to create and sustain innovative microschools. Learn more about applying for this opportunity here.
- Kode with Klossy: They are looking for former and current teachers to lead summer camps. Do you know a CM or alum interested in inspiring the future world of tech while gaining a new skill set this summer? Applications to be a Kode With Klossy Instructor next summer are now open! Kode With Klossy uplifts girls, gender nonconforming, and transgender youth by teaching coding fundamentals in hopes to change the face of tech. This is a competitive, paid opportunity, and no coding background is required to teach. Those interested should apply by the deadline of January 22!
Resources and Free Things
- Headwaters Science Institute: Students collaborate with leading scientists from over 14 disciplines to design and implement their own research project. Science teachers in the CCV, check it out. Link for more info here
- TFA Alumni Hub: Stay connected with alumni, see job opportunities, awards, fellowships, and events on the recently launched TFA Alumni Hub.
- January 26, 2023: This is the month for our 1st Alumni Happy Hour + Trivia Night! Come to mix, mingle, enjoy live music, have a drink, and play some trivia (prizes included). Save the date for January 26th (Thursday, from 4-6pm) at 3Fold Communications ( 2031 K St. Sacramento, CA 95811). Check out the Flier and RSVP at the link here.
- January 25, 2023: This month, the Asian Pacific Islander American Public Affairs Association (APAPA) are hosting a community forum to highlight the intersection of LGBTQ+ and API hate that members of our community are facing with the recent rise of both API and LGBTQ+ hate crimes. The goal of the event is to bring community members together while raising awareness of API LGBTQ+ hate and empowering our community to stand against hate. Attend the forum on Wednesday, January 25, 2023 from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM at 4000 Truxel Road, Suite 3, Sacramento, CA 95834. RSPV at the link here.